[Horace Binney Combined Grammar, Secondary and Primary]
Horace Binney Combined Grammar, Secondary and Primary School/Spruce Street, below Sixth./Fifth Section.
Local ID #: 253
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897.,
p. 251, 253
SPRUCE ST (Below 6th Street)
> Search near this location
> View location in
George M. Wharton Combined Secondary and Primary School
This building was originally a church. The school had its origin from the Southeast School and in 1874, grammar students moved from the George M. Wharton school to the Horace Binney School. This building was within the Fifth Section: "The boundaries of the Fifth Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Fifth Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Seventh Street, the Delaware River, South and Chestnut Streets," (Curtis, p. 251).
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.