This school was a private school, unlike the free schools witin the eleventh section. In 1818, the Controllers rented out the building. Then in 1825 with the completion of the Mifflin School (North 3rd Street) building several students were tranferred to make up their student body. The remaining students formed the Madison School (New Market Street).
This building was within the eleventh section: "The boundaries of the Eleventh Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Eleventh Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Third Street and the Delaware River, Vine and Poplar Streets," (Curtis, p. 187).