[Jefferson Grammar School (for boys)]
Jefferson Grammar School/Fifth Street, above Poplar./Sixteenth Section.
Local ID #: 319
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897.,
p. 317, 319
5th Street (Above Poplar Street)
> Search near this location
> View location in
The school was established in 1843. Both the girls and boys grammar schools were held in the same building. This building was within the sixteenth section: "The boundaries of the Sixteenth Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Sixteenth Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Laurel Street and the Delaware River, to Frankford Avenue, to Girard Avenue, to Sixth Street, to Poplar Street, to the Delaware River," (Curtis, p. 317).
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.