[John Moffet Grammar Schools (for boys)]
Interior View of Class Room, John Moffet School
Local ID #: 329
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897.,
p. 325, 327, 329
> View more images [2 total]
SW corner of 2nd Street and Oxford Street
> Search near this location
> View location in
John Moffet School
West Kensington School
In 1891, students from the Harrison Grammar School moved into the newly built John Moffet Grammar Schools building and the Harrison school house (Master Street) closed. Both the boys and the girls grammar schools were held in the same building. This building is within the seventeenth section: "The boundaries of the Seventeenth Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Seventeenth Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Oxford Street, Frankford Avenue, Girard Avenue and Sixth Street," (Curtis, p. 325).
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.