23rd Street near LOMBARD ST
> Search near this location
> View location in
Southwestern Grammar School
In 1838, the school moved into this new building and was specifically for boys. The nickname "Wood's School" was given deriving from the first Principal, William Wallace Wood. Secondary School No. 4 opened in this building in 1854 due to the Consolidation. In 1861, "the Southwestern Grammar Schools were transferred to a building at 19th & Addison Streets."
This school was within the seventh section: "The boundaries of the Seventh Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Seventh Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Seventh Street, the Schuylkill River, South and Spruce Streets," (Curtis, p. 261).
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.