[Locust Street Combined Grammar School]
Locust Street Grammar School/Northeast corner Twelfth and Locust Streets./Eighth Section./(From an old wood cut.)
Local ID #: 275
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897.,
p. 269, 275
NE corner of 12th Street and LOCUST ST
> Search near this location
> View location in
Locust Street Combined Grammar School
This was one of the oldest schools in the Philadelphia. The school's original location was in a building near 6th and Lombard Streets and moved in October 1828 to the building at 12th and Locust Streets.
This building was within the eighth section: "The boundaries of the Eighth Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Eighth Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Seventh Street and the Schuylkill River, Chestnut and Spruce Streets," (Curtis, p. 269).
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.