This school building was the oldest in the Ninth Section. The school was originally called the Washington School. In 1868, due to depopulation the school was moved to the Keystone Grammar School (19th Street). In 1897, the Board of Public Education occupied the building.
This building was within the ninth section: "The boundaries of the Ninth Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Ninth Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Seventh Street and the Schuylkill River, Chestnut and Arch Streets," (Curtis, p. 277).