[Northwestern Combined Grammar, Secondary and Primary School]
Northwestern Combined Grammar, Secondary and Primary School/North side of Race Street, below Fifteenth./Tenth Section.
Local ID #: 283
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897.,
p. 281, 283
RACE ST (North side, below 15th Street)
> Search near this location
> View location in
Boys' Secondary and Primary School (Tenth Section)
This school was one of the oldest in Philadelphia. In 1892, the grammar and secondary schools were combind and in 1894, the boys' secondary and primary schools (Cherry Street) also moved into the Race Street building.
This building was within the tenth section: "The boundaries of the Tenth Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Tenth Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Seventh Street and the Schuylkill River, Arch and Vine Streets," (Curtis, p. 281).
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.