[Mount Vernon Grammar School (for boys)]
Mt. Vernon Grammar School/North side of Catharine Street, above Third./Third Section.
Local ID #: 237
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897.,
p. 235, 237
N side of CATHARINE ST (Above 3rd Street)
> Search near this location
> View location in
Originally the school was called the Catharine Street School (1821-1848), teaching in the Lancasterian system. In June 1832 until later in that year, the city took over the school building, creating a cholera hospital to deal with the epidemic. Both the Mount Vernon Grammar School for boys and the Grammar Schools for Girls and Primary Schools were located in the same building. This building is within the Third Section: "The boundaries of the Third Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Third Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Broad Street to Fitzwater, to Passyunk Avenue, to German, to Second, to Mead, to Swanson, to Catharine, to the Delaware River, to Christian, to Broad," (Curtis, p. 235).
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.