Project

Also known as: H. W. Halliwell Primary School
Overview Chronology References Architects Images Maps
PHILADELPHIA ARCHITECTS AND BUILDINGS
SEARCH
OUR PARTNERS
 

[Henry W. Halliwell Grammar School]
Henry W. Halliwell Grammar School,/Frankford Avenue, below Allegheny Avenue./Twenty-fifth Section.
Local ID #: 423
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897., p. 417, 421, 423

Overview

  • Building Type: school

Location

FRANKFORD AVE (Below Allegheny Avenue)
Philadelphia, PA

> Search near this location

> View location in Google Maps

Related Project(s):
Untitled Project
John H. Webster Grammar School

Comments

In 1893, the boys' section transferred to the Webster Grammar School on Frankford Avenue and Ontario Street. This building was within the twenty-fifth section: "The boundaries of the Twenty-fifth Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Twenty-fifth Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Lehigh Avenue, Kensington Avenue, the Delaware River and Frankford Creek," (Curtis, p. 417).

The school opened in March 1875 in an unknown Episcopal church edifice on Emerald Street and Cemetery Lane. "In April, 1879, the school was transferred to the Halliwell building," (Curtis, p. 421). This building was within the twenty-fifth section: "The boundaries of the Twenty-fifth Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Twenty-fifth Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Lehigh Avenue, Kensington Avenue, the Delaware River and Frankford Creek," (Curtis, p. 417).

Links to Other Databases

 

Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.