Project

Also known as: Newton Combined Boys' Grammar, Secondary and Primary School; Newton Boys Annex; Newton Boys School No. 2 (1888); Newton Boys School No. 2 (1892)
Overview Chronology References Architects Images Maps
PHILADELPHIA ARCHITECTS AND BUILDINGS
SEARCH
OUR PARTNERS
 

[Newton Combined Boys' Grammar, Secondary and Primary School]
Newton Combined Boys' Grammar, Secondary and Primary School,/Thirty-sixth and Chestnut Streets./Twenty-seventh Section.
Local ID #: 441
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897., p. 439-441
> View more images [2 total]

Overview

  • Building Type: school

Location

LUDLOW ST (Below 36th Street)
S 36TH ST near CHESTNUT ST
Philadelphia, PA

> Search near this location

> View location in Google Maps
> Why are there multiple addresses or locations listed?

Comments

The school was established in 1855. This building was within the twenty-seventh section: "The boundaries of the Twenty-seventh Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Twenty-seventh Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are the Schuylkill River on the east, and Market Street on the north," (Curtis, p. 439).

This building was within the twenty-seventh section: "The boundaries of the Twenty-seventh Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Twenty-seventh Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are the Schuylkill River on the east, and Market Street on the north," (Curtis, p. 439).

Links to Other Databases

 

Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.