[Alexander Adaire Combined Grammar, Secondary and Primary School]
Alexander Adaire Combined Grammar, Secondary and Primary School/Palmer Street, above Thompson./Eighteenth Section.
Local ID #: 337
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897.,
p. 331-332, 337, 339, 341
> View more images [3 total]
E PALMER ST (Above Thompson Street)
> Search near this location
> View location in
Vaughan Combined Grammar, Secondary and Primary School
This land was formerly occupied by the Morris School building but in 1867 the school transferred to the Vaughan School building. The Alexander Adaire School building was built and opened on September 28, 1892 at the cost of $70,000, (Curtis, p. 332).
This building was within the the eighteenth section: "The boundaries of the Eighteenth Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Eighteenth Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Laurel Street and the Delaware River, to Frankford Avenue, Norris Street to the Aramingo Canal, to Lehigh Avenue to the Delaware River," (Curtis, p. 331).
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.