8th Street near Thompson Street
> Search near this location
> View location in
Park Avenue Grammar School (for boys and girls)
In 1864, classes from the Penn Grammar School on 8th and Thompson Streets were moved into the Park Avenue School and Penn School became a secondary school. Both the boys and girls school were held in the same building. This building was within the twentieth section: "The boundaries of the Twentieth Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Twentieth Section of the First School District of Pennsyvlania, are Broad and Poplar Streets, to Sixth Street, to Susquehanna Avenue, to Eleventh Street, to Montgomery Avenue, to Broad Street, to Poplar Street," (Curtis, p. 357).
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.