[Kenderton Combined Grammar, Secondary and Primary School]
Kenderton Combined Grammar, Secondary and Primary School,/Fifteenth and Ontario Streets./Twenty-eighth Section./(From an old wood cut.)
Local ID #: 463
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897.,
p. 453-454, 463
- Project Status: Built
- Building Type: school
NW corner of N 15TH ST and W ONTARIO ST
> Search near this location
> View location in
Also on this site:
The school was one of the first to be established when the twenty-eighth section was formed in 1868. This building was within the twenty-eighth section: "Up to the close of 1896, when the Twenty-eighth Ward was divided, its boundaries were from Broad Street and Susquehanna Avenue to Germantown Avenue, to Roberts Avenue, to Wissahickon Avenue, to School Lane, to the Schuylkill River, to Susquehanna Avenue, to Broad Street. When the ward was divided Lehigh Avenue was made the separating line, and the northern of the two parts became the Thirty-eighth Ward, while the other remained the Twenty-eighth," (Custis, p. 453).
"When the Twenty-eighth Section was formed in 1868, the Forest, Kenderton and Glenwood were the only schools within its boundaries that are still in existence under the same names . . ."Custis, p. 454.
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.