Wharton Combined Secondary and Primary School/Fifth Street, below Washington Avenue./Second Section.
Local ID #: 229
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897.,
- Building Type: school
- Client: Wharton School
S 5TH ST ("5th Street below Washington Ave.")
> Search near this location
> View location in
Robert Raikes School
On the land where the school is located, there originally stood the Wharton family house. The house was torn down and a building was built, occupied by an orphan asylum, a carriage factory and then the school. In 1870, the Robinson School merged with the Washington School [Wharton School]. In 1893 the George W. Nebinger school on 601-627 Carpenter Street was combined with the Wharton School. Classes were also held at the Robert Raikes School on 6th & Washington Ave.
This school is within the Second Section: "The boundaries of the Second Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Second Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are the Delaware River, Broad Street, Wharton Street to Passyunk Avenue, to Ellsworth, to Broad, to Christian," (Curtis, p. 227).
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.