[Chandler Combined Secondary and Primary School]
Chandler Combined Secondary and Primary School/Montgomery Avenue, above Richmond Street./Eighteenth Section./(From an old wood cut.)
Local ID #: 343
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897.,
p. 331-332, 343
1050 E MONTGOMERY AVE (Above Richmond Street)
Browse this block
> Search near this location
> View location in
George Chandler Presbyterian Church
Kensington Hose Company
Historic Registrations and Surveys
- National Register: 88002255 (11/18/1988)
Until 1863 when the school building on Montgomery Avenue was erected. Prior to this building the school was located at several locations including the George Chandler Presbyterian Church on Palmer Street, and the Kensington Hose Company house on Richmond Street, (Curtis, p. 332).
This building was within the the eighteenth section: "The boundaries of the Eighteenth Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Eighteenth Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Laurel Street and the Delaware River, to Frankford Avenue, Norris Street to the Aramingo Canal, to Lehigh Avenue to the Delaware River," (Curtis, p. 331).
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.