Project

Overview References Architects Maps
PHILADELPHIA ARCHITECTS AND BUILDINGS
SEARCH
OUR PARTNERS

Published References

  • Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders' Guide, v. 5, n. 44, p. 685, 11/1/1890
    Links: View citation information

    Client/Project Name: Overbrook Land Co.

    Architect Referenced: Nichols, Minerva Parker (1862 - 1949)

     
  • Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders' Guide, v. 5, n. 47, p. 735, 11/26/1890
    Links: View citation information

    Client/Project Name: Overbrook Land Co.

    Architect Referenced: Nichols, Minerva Parker (1862 - 1949)

     
  • Philadelphia Inquirer (23 May 1889): p.7. Quote: "Desirable Building Lots. Overbrook is a delightful suburb, distant only four miles from Philadelphia and within twelve minutes ride from Broad Street Station. The scenery thereabouts is picturesque, and it sanitary conditions are of the highest order. Since the Overbrook Land and Improvement Company has taken hold of the place it has thrived wonderfully, and now a greater effort is to be made to make it sought after by people who like to enjoy the comforts of a suburban home. "The Land will not be sold in less than one-quarter acre lots, and a $5,000 building restriction goes with every lot. Already a number of beautiful residences grace the green hills of Overbrook, which are occupied by well-known Philadelphia businessmen. On the city plan the ground is located at Sixty-third and Columbia avenue and so high is it that a clear view can be had of the city, with the Delaware river winding along the front, seemingly no wider than a brook. The streets are from 80 to 100 feet wide, and will be supplied with water and incandescent illumination. The president, Dr. J. Hughes Oliver, and James H. Eckersley, secretary, are well-known for their connection with the Wyoming Villa improvements in the Twenty-third ward. Associated with them are Lewis Jones, treasurer; J.A. Patterson and I.M. Green."
     
  • Philadelphia Inquirer (23 July 1889): p.7. Full text: "Real Estate Transfers. Sixty-third st., mid., 330 ft. S. Columbia ave. - L. Jones to Overbrook Land and Imp. Co.; July 20, '89: 54 597-100 a.: $109,194."
     
  • Philadelphia Inquirer (26 May 1890): p.6. Full text: "A lot 160x150 feet at the northwest corner of Sixty-first street and Columbia avenue has been sold for $4,500 by the Overbrook Land and Improvement Company to W. Jordan."
     
  • Philadelphia Inquirer (12 September 1890): p.7. Full text: "A Suburban Hostelry. The site secured at Sixty-third and Lancaster avenue. One by one the big suburban country seats are being taken up by the speculators in realty, and what a few years ago was farm land is fast becoming homes of those who are able to leave the bustle of the more closely built up portions of the town. The latest deal of the kind is at Sixty-third and Lancaster avenue, where many years ago Lewis Jones built a mansion in the midst of shade trees and beautiful grounds. A recent purchase has transferred this property, known as 'Shady Nook,' into the hands of the Overbrook Land and Improvement Company, which is making preparations to building a huge summer hotel that will accommodate between 200 and 300 guests. Several architects have been invited to make plans and it is more than likely that Miss Minerva Parker will be the fortunate architect. As the plans are yet in embryo, nothing definite can be stated. This much, however, is known, that the new hostelry will be of stone and nearly 130 feet square. The six acres of ground will be laid out in walks and drives and otherwise beautified. In addition to this improvement the company will build a number of residences, each of a different style of architecture. Several prominent Philadelphians have secured lots and will build this fall. Among them are: J.A. Patterson, A.R. Elliott, Dr. C.E. Pike, William Jordan, C.H. Partridge, Mrs. Fannie Moyer and Harrison Albright, the latter having bought a tract upon which he will build a $15,000 house."
     
  • Philadelphia Inquirer (2 December 1890): p.7. Full text: "Plans are now being made for a large number of houses to be erected on the property of the Overbrook Land Company, at Sixty-first and Columbia avenue. Minerva Parker is the architect."
     
  • Philadelphia Inquirer (7 October 1894): p.7. Real estate advertisement for Overbrook Land and Improvement Company property at Sixty-third and Lancaster ave. (Lewis T. Brooke & Son, Managers, offices 18 South Broad Street.
     
  • Philadelphia Inquirer (30 June 1906): p.6. Full text: "W.F. Harrity has purchased through the Brooks Real Estate Company the property of the Overbrook Land and Improvement Company, which consists of about twenty-two acres of land located between Sixtieth and Sixty-third streets, and between Jefferson street and Lancaster avenue. The property is near Overbrook Farms, suburban development started by the late Anthony J. Drexel. A nominal consideration is mentioned in the deed, but the price paid is understood to be in the neighborhood of $200,000. There are no building restrictions."
     

 

Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.