Hotchkin, Samuel F. Rural Pennsylvania in the Vicinity of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Geo. W. Jacobs, 1897.,
p. 111, 125
View all citations from this source
Project Information from this Source
Morris Residence, "Ty'n-y-Coed"
Morris, Effingham B.
Cited Architects, Engineers, and Others
Lower Merion Township, Montgomery County, PA (about a mile north of Ardmore)
- "Ty'n-Y-Coed. --This Welsh name means a house in the woods, and was given to his place by Effingham B. Morris as suitable for an estate lying in the old Welsh Tract in Lower Merion Township, about a mile north of Ardmore, on the hills overlooking Mill Creek. Mr. Morris purchased eighteen acres from the estate of Joseph K. Eyre, in A.D. 1886. The stone house was erected that year from designs of Addison Hutton. Mill Creek runs through the lower part of the place, and about twelve acres are left in native woodland. The mansion stands on a high position, being about a hundred feet above the road."
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.