Hotchkin, Samuel F. Rural Pennsylvania in the Vicinity of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Geo. W. Jacobs, 1897.,
p. 39, 57
View all citations from this source
Project Information from this Source
Ashhurst Residence, "The Grange"
Cited Architects, Engineers, and Others
There are no architects, engineers, or others linked to this record.
- "The Grange.- We synopsize Dr. Smith's history of Delaware County, which gives a picture of the quaint and dignified house of this title where the staid Quaker from Wales, Henry Lewis, broke the wilderness for a home in 1682. His son Henry followed him. The estate covered nearly 400 acres in the last century. Captain John Wilcox built the grand and elegant mansion, calling it Clifton Hall. He surrounded the estate with a ditch. Charles Cruickshank, a wealthy Scotch gentleman, a British Captain who had served in the Netherlands, bought the place, and styled it the Grange, or Grange Farm. The house was enlarged, and terraced walks and a greenhouse brought out the natural beauties of the estate. The land attached to the Grange was partly in three counties --Chester (now Delaware), Philadelphia, and Montgomery, which Captain Cruickshank increased by purchase. A Scotch merchant, John Ross, of Philadelphia, married Clementina, the daughter of Captain Cruickshank, who, at the close of the Revolutionary War, sold the Grange to his son-in-law, Ross, and returned with his family to his native country. Mr. Ross added to the buildings, and also increased the quantity of land to an aggregate of 600 acres."
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2022 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2022 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.