Hotchkin, Samuel F. Rural Pennsylvania in the Vicinity of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Geo. W. Jacobs, 1897.,
p. title page, 233, 285
View all citations from this source
Project Information from this Source
Old St. David's Church
Cited Architects, Engineers, and Others
There are no architects, engineers, or others linked to this record.
Radnor, Radnor Township, Delaware County, PA
- It is built of stone, slightly varying in its tints, laid up with white pointing, in a most substantial and workmanlike way.... A quaint feature of the church is a covered staircase leading to the gallery. This was built some years after the church. The doors and windows of the church are arched, the latter having shutters, and protected by heavy iron bars.... The interior of the church, though plain, is dignified and churchly. A gallery at the west end is used as a choir, and contains the organ. The coloring of the church is chiefly white, with the walls of a pale buff. An aisle, with its floor of red tiles, running from the chancel rail to the west end, is crossed by another, running from the front door to the vestry room, forming a cross. The font stands at the north entrance to the church. A bluish-gray stone, taken out of St. David's Cathedral, Wales, and cut with the figure of a cross...has been inserted in the wall just over the entrance, and forms the keystone of its arch.... The ceiling of the church is arched.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2022 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2022 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.