Hotchkin, Samuel F. Rural Pennsylvania in the Vicinity of Philadelphia. Philadelphia: Geo. W. Jacobs, 1897.,
p. 29, 31
View all citations from this source
Project Information from this Source
Church of Our Lady of Lourdes
Cited Architects, Engineers, and Others
Philadelphia, PA (Overbrook)
- In the Overbrook Farms Company, with commendable foresight, seeing that a Catholic Church would hasten the growth of the settlement, offered the Archbishop a site on which to build a church. The lot is a triangular piece of ground, containing about two-thirds of an acre, situated at the intersection of Sixty-third Street, Woodbine Avenue, and Lancaster Avenue. ...they imposed certain conditions with, viz., that the church should be built of stone; that it should cost at least $25,000, and be completed exteriorly in one year. ...On the 20th of October, 1894, ground was broken for the new church; on the first Sunday of May, 1895, the corner-stone was laid.... Towards the end of August, 1895, the exterior of the building and interior of the basement were completed at a cost of $32,000....In March, 1896, a few months after completing the work of the church, Father Mullin began the building of a pastoral residence, which was completed on the 1st of October, 1896, at a cost $10,200. Both church and house are built of Port Deposit granite, with trimmings of Indiana limestone. The church is English Gothic, and is pronounced one of the most beautiful examples of church architecture in Philadelphia. It is 108 feet long, 50 feet wide, and 80 feet at the transept. It will seat 650 people. The architect was Mr. Thomas B. Lonsdale and the builder Mr. Thomas Reilly."
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.