Citation

   
PHILADELPHIA ARCHITECTS AND BUILDINGS
SEARCH
OUR PARTNERS

Source Information

Hotchkin, Samuel F. The York Road, Old and New. Philadelphia: Binder & Kelly, 1892., p. 216

View all citations from this source

Project Information from this Source

Project name: Abington Presbyterian Church
Project types: church
Denominational affiliation: Presbyterian

Cited Architects, Engineers, and Others

There are no architects, engineers, or others linked to this record.

Location

Old York Rd
Abington Township, Montgomery County, PA

> View location in Google Maps

Comments

"The following extract is from the Phila. Times of August 20, 1892: The Little Village Church...In 178 years 9 ministers have been connected w/the church & during the first 148 years death alone occasioned changes in the pastorate. On a clear summer day...the slender spire of the little Presbyterian Church at Abington village can be seen for miles...high up in the belfry a tuneful monitor breathes its silvery peal, which is carried far down in the valley...The congregation responded to an eloquent appeal for funds to carry out needful improvements by subscribing $4,000. The sum will be used in the enlargement of the lectur room, thus increasing facilities for Sunday school work. Bible classrooms, a parlor & kitchen are to be added & the small instrument used in the auditorium will be replaced by a handsome pipe organ. This, the fifth time that Presbyterians at Abington have obeyed a preemptory call for church room, suggests much that is interesting in the history of the old church, founded as far back as 1714. 178 years ago a little band of 65 formed a congregation at Abington, with Malachai Jones as pastor & Abednego Thomas, Benjamin Jones, Stoffel Van Saint & Joseph Breden as elders. 5 years later a long structure, the first Presbyterian meeting house in Montgomery Co. was erected within the limits of the present village burial ground...In 1973 what is known as the 'second church'---this time a stone bldg. was erected on the site of the present edifice...It was finally deemed expedient to replace this structure by an entirely new church home, and the present bldg. was erected in 1866"

 

Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.