Source Information

Hotchkin, Samuel F. The York Road, Old and New. Philadelphia: Binder & Kelly, 1892., p. 286,289,291,292,293,295,296,300

View all citations from this source

Project Information from this Source

Project name: Neshaminy Presbyterian Church

Cited Architects, Engineers, and Others

There are no architects, engineers, or others linked to this record.


Old York Rd. near Bristol Rd.
Pennsylvania ("Hartsville")

> View location in Google Maps


Which stands in a beautiful situation on the shore of the Western Branch of the Neshaminy Creek within an easy walk from Hartsville...Rev. Dr. D. K. Turner...has composed an interested volume on the history of this ancient parish, from which we condense a sketch...The section was formerly styled the 'Forks of Neshaminy'. James Boydon in 1709, owned the ground on thich the church stands. The Log College was built by Rev. William Tennent, especially to educate clergymen, on the York Rd. about a mile south of Hartsville. It was a small schoolhouse...the school began about 1726 and is supposed to have continued for 15-20 years. (An account of this college's importance to Princeton, where many future Neshaminy pastors studied, follows). Mr. Tennent held the church at Deep Run, about 12 miles from his residence, Rev. Francis McHenry assisting him in his old age, but in 1743 a new church was built, while Mr. McHenry occupied the old one in the graveyard close by...Rev. Nathaniel Irwin became pastor of Neshaminy Church in 1774...In 1775 the church was enlarged...Mr. Belville...started a boarding & day school at Neshaminy, which he conducted for 9 yrs. He gave a piece of ground to enlarge the graveyard. The Hartsville Church withdrew from Neshaminy Church in 1838...When the parishes separated, the church property was sold & the Hartsville congregation received half the amount & funds at interest divided. In 1842 the Old School parish built a stone church of neat appearance in Hartsville. The site struck me as a beautiful one, and the hills in view from the graveyard make it a sweet spot to lay away the dead...In 1842 Neshaminy Church was renovated. Gothic windows replaced square ones, and various improvements were made...Joseph Hart...a trustee at Neshaminy Church & its treasurer. He bequeathed money to aid in making a sidewalk from Hartsville to the church & to erect a marble slab to commemorate the history of the church & its pastors.


Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.